Pages

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Not Alone Series: Do's and Don'ts of Dating


Alright, I'm in!

My friend Bek has been participating in this link-up thingamajig, hosted by Morgan and Jen  (Nice to meet you, ladies! I SO don't even know how these things work! Help!) And now, let's say she won me over.

I'll do my best to post every Tuesday-ish, but -- mind you, it may be my only post every week...at least until summer. :)

Anyway, without further ado, today's topic for single ladies:

What are those things that we should be doing, and the things that we shouldn't be doing? They can be from the physical parts (clothes to wear, places to go, things to say) or emotional parts (talking about it all the time, planning the future, etc). We can all learn something in hindsight, so what are your tips to share?

I'm going to take this question in a slightly different direction, because, here's the deal: I've never dated. (And now you're like, 'No wonder she's still single!' and I'm like, 'Yeah, probly.')

So, without going into all the why's and WHAT?!s of that statement, I would like to comment on do's and don'ts of relating with the opposite sex. It's something I'm pretty passionate about.

DON'T
- Flirt 
- Wear provocative clothing
- Give your thoughts free reign
- Talk about personal things

DO
- Ask genuine questions
- Dress to bless
- Take your thoughts captive
- Keep your conversation topics to things your husband wouldn't mind you discussing with his guy friend

Here's my reasoning: I've done some of those don'ts. I've also been on the receiving end of them. Never, ever has it produced anything remotely resembling a Godly relationship.

I've also done some of those do's, and been on the receiving end of them. What a difference! It is such a BLESSING to be in a relationship where Christ is the center, and it really is not about you or me, but Christ in you and Christ in me. Where we can ask and answer genuine questions, protect each other by the way we dress, and choose not to be overly familiar or "friendly," but, rather, respectful and honoring of one another.

Isn't that how Jesus is?

Thanks for letting me join you, ladies! 

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay! You joined! :D

This is really great, Dahls. So glad you jumped on the bandwagon! :)

Laura said...

Welcome to the link up! And you're not the only one who's never dated :-) Thanks for the awesome things to think about, and I like your point about talking about topics you would talk about with your husband's guy friends on the first date.

Nej said...

Welcome!! Thanks so much for joining us, Dahlia!

I LOVE your perspective here. I am so with you on the godly relationship thing. It IS true... and it's how we should be approaching all our relationships (both male and female). We should be loving and encouraging and bringing people closer to Christ, n matter who they are. :)

Can't wait to read more!

Joan said...

Hi, Dahlia!!

I absolutely loved your "dress to bless" line! :)

I really enjoyed reading your lists and feel that they were good reminders for me as I'm a if-I'm-nervous-I-talk-alot type of person, so the whole don't share too much personal information was good for me to see!

Nikki said...

Welcome!!!!

Enjoyed reading your post. I love that you mentioned taking thoughts captive. It is so easy to have the guy waiting for you at the end of the aisle before you even finish the first date.

Dahlia said...

Thank you, ladies!

Claire Writes said...

Dress to bless! I love it!!